This article on the website of The Good Food Community, a Manila-based organic vegetable distributor, highlights some of the common vegetables in the Philippines that are high in antioxidants. Citing this study, they described some of the benefits from the following foods:
- Mangosteen has been found to have one of the highest antioxidant activity among local fruits. If color is any indication, mangosteen’s deep purple rind tells you how packed it is with nutrients such as vitamin C and folate
- Durian has a creamy texture and its undeniable smell. But did you know that much like mangosteen, it’s high in antioxidant activity? Caffeic acid and quercetin were the dominant antioxidant substances in ripe durian.
- Eggplant is delicious as Kulawo from San Pablo, Laguna. It’s high in vitamins A and C. For those with diabetes, eggplant has polyphenols that improve your body’s ability to process sugar.
- Ampalaya’s healing properties have long been the stuff of folklore. But all this is true, as it turns out. Its leaves and fruit are rich in vitamin B, Iron, Calcium and phosphorus. Ampalaya has also been used as a remedy for stomach and respiratory problems.
- Garlic has been found to have antioxidant and antimicrobial properties that grow more potent when aged — a win for those who’ve taken to fermenting fruits and vegetables to prolong the shelf life of their food during the community quarantine since March 2020.
If you look into the study that was cited in greater detail you can find details on many of the foods that were mentioned. As we have highlighted in our previous articles, antioxidants are very important in supporting our immune system and maintaining our general health.
This article did not mention anything about the importance of choosing organic. Pesticide residues contribute to the free radicals in your system. 1 This is worth remembering, especially because some of the foods highest in antioxidants, like eggplant are often heavily treated with agricultural chemicals. These toxic residues may well cancel out the potential benefits.
Finally we must remember that organic food contains up to 60% more antioxidants. This is a significant increase. That means that two organic fruits contain more antioxidants than three conventional ones, not to mention they do not contain toxic chemicals which add free radicals.
Check out the Original Article Here