Since the COVID outbreak began in late 2019 scientists have been working around the clock to identify possible treatments to keep people healthy. Since severe symptoms are relatively rare, they have begun to identify what can be done to keep infections mild. Antioxidants are receiving more and more attention recently for their ability to do this. Quercetin, a little-known antioxidant has shown great promise in regulating the inflammation and oxidative stress which leads to severe COVID symptoms.
Quercetin is found in some foods such as Onions, Red Wine, Green Tea, Apples and berries among others. It can also be taken as a supplement. Being an antioxidant, Quercetin binds to free radicals stopping them from damaging our cells and causing oxidative stress.
In the past, this antioxidant has also shown to be highly effective in reducing inflammation. This has made it valuable in dealing with respiratory and circulatory system diseases, as these two systems are strongly affected by inflammation.
Quercetin has shown to have multiple potential roles in the treatment of COVID infection. All are explained more thoroughly in this study.
- Quercetin has been shown to aid in the performance of gut microbiome by inhibiting the bad bacteria, allowing good bacteria levels to recover. This is highly important because gut micriobiome imbalance is one of the major factors leading to severe COVID symptoms.
- It is able to inhibit the excessive proliferation of neutrophils, (inflammatory cykotines) regulating the ratio between these and lymphocytes, which are needed for continued immune function. It provides a much safer alternative to HCQ.
- It has been shown to block the malfunctioning receptors (inflammasomes) of the immune system that regulate and trigger inflammation.
- The descriptions above are highly simplified explanations of the 6 separate ways Quercetin has been shown to inhibit inflammation. If you are interested in the full mechanisms please read the article linked.
- Quercetin has also been shown (in a 2021 study) to have a very high capacity to bind to spike proteins, neutralizing this dangerous toxin and reducing the Virus’ ability to infect other cells. This quality also makes it a strong potential treatment for side-effects caused by vaccines, which introduce spike proteins or force your body to create them.
Inflammation and COVID
It has been found over the past few years that inflammation and cykotine storms, caused by malfunctioning immune systems overloaded by the virus are the main cause of death and even severe symptoms. This is why much research has been done into possible methods of reducing inflammation in COVID patients. Cultivating your Gut Microbiome, and maintaining a healthy supply of antioxidants such as Vitamin C, Glutathione and now Quercetin have emerged as some of the most effective ways of doing this.
We believe that through proper nutrition and immune support, you will be able to avoid symptoms or even infection. See this article for a sample treatment plant that you can do at home. We are not doctors, nor claim to know the cure to this flu. What we do know is that it is a relatively minor illness and our immune systems have exhibited the ability to recover from similar ailments with proper support.
It is recommended that you consume about 500mg of Quercetin Daily
See the chart below for dietary sources of Quercetin
Mango peels have also been found to contain very high levels of quercetin, up to 1570mg per kilo to be exact, or 157mg per 100g. How to consume these peels however is still being explored. One suggestion is to brew it into a fermented drink, which has shown the potential to extract some of the quercetin and other antioxidants in the peel.
See the table below for more Quercetin sources than can be found locally.